Wednesday, August 10, 2011

I {heart} New York - Part 2

There comes a time when you realize you can't scrap EVERY photo on a layout.

That time came for me when I was in the planning stages of my NYC album. I wanted to include (almost) every photo from the trip, but realized not every photo was "scrap-worthy." To me, I scrap photos that need to tell a story. Instead of spending hours editing my photos into smaller sizes or making them into photo collages to be used on layouts, I opted to use the American Crafts photo pages for my albums. Each side holds six 4x6 photos. By mixing these protectors in with regular 12x12 scrapbook layout page protectors, I am able to include traditional layouts of our trip's photos and also the less "scrap-worthy" photos, too.

The first 6-up page in my album includes photos of the great variety of food at the marketplace in Grand Central Station. (I get hungry every time I look at it!) I still had a short story to go with these photos so I created a 4x6 "mini page" for one of the photo pockets. (I used Studio Calico supplies.)The food photos carried over to the next page.



I made another mini page to give more details. For a page of random buildings/sights, I took an even more simple approach and simply used a 4x6 journal card by Simple Stories to give details. St. Patrick's Cathedral...





Macy's...Macy's window display...

With my photo pages mixed in with regular layouts, I feel like I'm getting more accomplished. I'm not wasting a lot of time figuring out how to scrap random photos. I feel like the photos with an important story or incredible shots fall into place on their own quickly. Now I am also quickly documenting less important photos, too.


I had wanted to finish this album before the end of summer. Now, my goal is to finish this year!

1 comment:

Melanie said...

I really like using the photo pages, too. It is a great way to get in all of the photos. Your mini pages are perfect for the stories :)