Sunday, September 11, 2011

Remembering 9/11...

It's hard to believe that it's been ten years since the events of 9/11. I remember exactly where I was. I don't think I'll ever forget the events, my actions, and my feelings/fears of that day.

Ten years ago today, I was a wife and mother expecting my second son in less than two months. I was at work and the phone rang just before 9 a.m. I heard that a plane had hit one of the WTC Towers in NYC. A few minutes later, I received another call from the same person frantic that another plane had hit the second tower as it was seen on live TV. This was no accident.

I remember almost every detail of that day. Thankfully, Tom wasn't traveling although he did have customers visiting from NYC. We booked them a rental car and they drove straight home. I couldn't wait to get back to Bardstown (where we lived at the time) to pick Blake up from daycare. Gas prices had skyrocketed, and I was in shock to be paying $1.52 at the pump. (Oh, how I'd LOVE to pay that for gas today...)

That evening we went to see my sister, Kaitlin, in her middle school homecoming court. On the ride home, Blake, who was fascinated with airplanes, commented that there weren't any "lights" in the sky as all flights had been grounded.

I have lost count of the number of times I've cried over the past week as I have watched 9/11 memorials on television. My heart still aches for the victims and their families. I still have an overwhelming feeling of gratitude for those first responders and those that have and continue to fight for our nation.

Since 9/11, I have had the opportunity to travel to Washington, DC and visit the Pentagon and the memorial there. (It is overwhelming.) I also visited NYC this past December and went to Ground Zero. Someday I hope to also visit the new memorial to Flight 93 in Pennsylvania. The passengers on that flight were the first heroes in our fight against terror.

This weekend, we visited an orchard in Indiana and on our return drive home, I was proud to see our flag proudly displayed as we crossed back into Kentucky.

May God continue to bless our great nation, and may God also bless you and your families today and always.

We will never forget.

1 comment:

Lynette Jacobs said...

Oh Amy...DH and I watched all the documentaries on Nat Geo this weekend and I still find it shocking and the images of people falling from the burning building is something I just cannot get out of my thoughts.

xx